If been wondering for what reason some Arctic insects produce (ice nucleation proteins) to freeze their intracellular or extra cellular water to survive sub-zero temperatures.
The formation of those proteins would lead to an osmotic shock. And rapid ice formation increases the likelihood of intracellular freezing with its associated physical problems resulting in cellular damage due to rapid changes in cell volume and damage from growing ice crystals.
How does the freezing benefit them?

I have had limited exposure to the literature on this, but my understanding is that few insects wuold be tolerant to sudden uncontrolled freezing that becomes likely at low temperatures. One strategy for coping with this is to produce nucleating proteins that actually facilitate ice formation, but at a higher temperature and more slowly (which entails less damage). So in evolutionary terms the advantage is not in being frozen, rather it is that if freezing is inevitable, regulating the process results in considerable less damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_wi … Nucleators