Lately I've developed a interest in IQ, now I've scored in the 99% and became a member of MENSA.
Looking at my parents, my mom is the strongly emotional, but got a "upper average IQ".
While my dad has a MENSA high IQ.

However, "researching" this topic in particular it seems we don't inherit any of our "intelligence" from our fathers, only from our mother's X chromosome?
Has this been validated or is there any new research in this field?

You might like to look at a similar post from a while ago David … php?id=857

I know of no data to say you only inherit intelligence down the maternal line. Further that would seem to me patently incorrect - the number of genes that contribute to intelligence must be  in the thousands. The likelyhood that they would all be X-linked is zero!

Also don't be trapped into thinking an IQ measure accurately reflects one of intelligence, there are a great number of ways of measuring intelligence and many of them (including the IQ test) are highly biased towards certain cultural factors or types of analysis. Famously Albert Enistein was not up to much by most IQ measures (remember he failed repeatedly to get into university and was stuck in a low paying job for decades, unable to impress his colleagues or get a promotion) yet was clearly a genuis. You can be a mathematical prodigy, but if you have difficulty with words, you will score badly on an IQ test, and how would you test someone from a tribe with no written langauge or understanding of geometrical shapes?

Dave's words on IQ testing are very wise. Most types of standardized test are good at measuring how good you are at taking that test, which is not always the same thing as being clever/intelligent.

I recommend two books: one by the late S. J. Gould "The Mismeasure of Man" which deals specifically with IQ testing, and another book "Standardized Minds: The High Price of America's Testing Culture and What We Can Do to Change It." by Peter Sacks, which deals with a much wider range of issues. Although the second book deals with the US, the expansion of standardized testing makes it relevant to anyone with an interest in education.

Last edited by Alistair McGowan (28th Oct 2008 18:36:23)

"Hope is a duty from which palaeontologists are exempt."
David Quammen