Me again,

I was wondering about Proceratosaurus. It's now been proclaimed the earliest tyrannosauroid, but aside from a short article in Prehistoric Times magazine (a good magazine, I might add), I've found nothing on the subject. Any additional information would be appreciated. I'm a big tyrannosaur fan (but deep down, aren't we all?), so I'm curious.

One question here I read on Wikipedia that's been sticking in my head ever since:
Was Guanlong (Jurassic tyrannosaur closely related to Proceratosaurus for those who don't know) really in Ice Age 3?

And finally, a question for the lizard experts: I've noticed that pictures of the eastern bearded dragon (Pogona barbata) always seem to have bigger, more extended beards than the inland bearded dragon (Pogona vitticeps). Is there a reason for this, or is it just coincidence? I'm a vitticeps keeper, and when Spock's being his little grumpy self I compare images and barbata always wins. Any reason?

Thanks again!
El Kevinito

Post's pictures

proceratosaurus skull.jpg, 22.55 kb, 559 x 273

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the brief answers but we are busy right now.

1. Proceratosaurus was suggested as a tyrannosaur in a recent paper by my old boss Oli Rauhut. The full reference is this in the Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society:

Cranial osteology
and phylogenetic position of the theropod dinosaur Proceratosaurus
bradleyi (Woodward, 1910) from the Middle Jurassic of England
OLIVER W. M. RAUHUT, ANGELA C. MILNER and SCOTT MOORE-FAY

It was only published a few months ago which is why there is not much out there on the idea yet. Nor can I add much really, since Procertosaurus is only know from the partial skull that you figure.

2. I must confess i did see Ice Age 3 and I never saw Guanlong in it. News to me.

3. No idea about the bearded dragons, but you should probably put that in a separate question. It makes it easier for people to handle since tyrannosaurs and lizards don't really go together.