Is dogs' panting queued to their breathing (which would seem to make it very shallow), or are they passing air over their tongues independently of their breathing?

(Love the new look website, by the way!)

Let me say at the start that I am in no way an expert! What follows is just a best guess form someone whose only involvment in respiration research was listening to lung physiologists discuss dinosaur lungs.

Dog panting is nothing but shallow, rapid breathing. I took our neighbours dog for a run in order to check, and the ribcage moved in turn with the air flow over the tongue when she rested afterwards. As for why she was not hyperventilating: I guess you are entirely correct: the breathing is very shallow.

I would add that the tongue hanging out of the mouth will allow atmospheric air movements to assist in cooling, so the act of panting is only part of the mechanism of heat loss.