I`ve recently had an argument about the evolutionary superiority of certain breeds of dogs compared to their ancestor, the wolf. We can all agree that the wolf is the ancestor of all dogs today, and since they are upper in evolution we can asume that chihuahuas are more evolved than wolves? I fully understand the process in which a animal ends up in a certain form, and we can find it easy to understand that such a breed has a more stable status than a wolf, eventhough is couldn`t survive in the harsh conditions a wild canide does. Basically, can we consider a chihuahua more evolved than a wolf?
Can we see a chihuahua as an opportunist because its status is mantained by humans?

Hi Cezar,
Questions like this seem to come up a lot. There is a good discussion of the concept here: http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers … hp?id=4092

Basically, there is no such thing as 'more evolved'. It is probable that modern wolves are more similar to the last common ancestor that they share with modern dogs, so you could say that chihuahuas are 'more derived' than wolves but there really is no heirarchy of evolution.

You are right however, to assume that most of the divergence between wolves and domesticated dogs is do to artificial rather than natural selection.