How many different blood types are recorded in Lacertilia?

Hi Dalton:

This is a very good question and I don’t think much is known about lizard blood types - I assume you mean blood groups - but I may be wrong! Blood groups like the human ABO types are classified based on the presence or absence of inherited substances on the surface of red blood cells. Lizards are certainly genetically diverse so there may be differences between red blood cell antigens (that could be detected, for example, by antibody production against red blood cell immunization). Reptiles can produce antibodies against a variety of foreign proteins and can reject skin allografts (skin grafted between the same species), and there is one old study (Hildemann WH “Immunogenetic studies of amphibians and reptiles” Ann N Y Acad Sci 97:139-152, 1962) that says red cell isoantigens have been detected in lizards (that would form the basis of different blood groups). You would imagine that there would have been a lot more studies but they seem to be few and far between. The anole lizard genome, the first reptilian genome to be sequenced, has genes encoding Rhesus-related and Kell blood group-related antigens - these are two of a number of blood group systems other than ABO in humans. Anole also has genes encoding substances that comprise other minor blood group systems in humans - e.g., Xg, globoside, John Milton Hagen, Diego, Raph, Landsteiner-Weiner, Cromer and Gill. I have no idea how polymorphic these markers are, which may be more antigenic in reptiles, or which may be considered a basis for blood groupings! More information about various immune system parameters will come out of the anole genome project as people scrutinize the data, especially with respect to immune system evolution in vertebrates. Below is a link to some info about animal blood groups -

http://www.drpeterjdadamo.com/wiki/wiki … in_animals

Re the anole genome see - http://www.ensembl.org/Anolis_carolinensis/Info/Index

P.S. in another two papers there is no evidence of ABO-like blood group activity in frogs (one species) or in fish (three species)(Ashhurst DE “Red blood-cell antigens in some lower vertebrates”, 1955), or in Xenopus frogs - B activity was found in bull-frogs (Yamamoto & Iseki “Amphibian blood group substances” Proc Japan Acad 45: 974-979, 1069). Both papers can be downloaded via Google. Evidence for blood group differences in various types of turtles has been described (Frair W “Blood group studies with turtles” Science 140: 1412-1414, 1963).

Last edited by Steve Lolait (24th Jun 2010 18:20:33)