I live in a built up area not far from Glasgow city centre, and every morning for the last 2 weeks I have been woken at 3.30 am by seagulls. Only one gull is calling with a call that sounds more like it's in distress, unlike the normal seagull call - it's a horrific sound. There are about 10 - 12 birds in total and for about 15 - 20 minutes they circle the tenement flats in my street, swooping and diving and colliding with each other before flying off. There are no food bins around, so it's not that. I assume the timing is something to do with sunrise - I can set my clock by when they arrive and wake me up. Any ideas as to why they are behaving like this in the city?

Valerie

You are probably correct that the noise starts with the sunrise.  This is still the nesting season for gulls and they tend to be especially noisy at this time. Based on what they do here in Edinburgh I would expect they either lesser black backed or herring gulls and that they are actually nesting on the tenement roofs in your area. If so then I'm afriad the noise will probably persist for a few more weeks until the chicks fledge