I heard from a reliable source that an average chimp is 8 times stronger than an average human man. And you know, as we all do, that a Silverback Gorrilla could tear the head off a chimp as easily as you or I  open a bottle of tomato sauce.
(Incidentally my friend Jay, who weighs 250 pounds, reckons he could easily take on a chimp in mortal combat and be victorious over the aforementioned but battered half to death chimp, but I have my doubts)
My actual question is this;
What makes them so disproprtionately strong, is it origin-insertion advantages, mechanical advantage, are the muscle fibres so much more denser than humans, if so which animal has the densest and could be said to be the Arnie of the animal kingdom. (Please dont answer with rubbish like 'Oh its an ant!' because thats so boring. Make it something that could really savage you very badly should you be fool enough to cross its path.

Thankyou

I wouldn't want to place any bets on your friend Jay if he took on the chimp in mortal combat. Chimps have disproportionately strong forelimbs compared to humans, partly because the muscles are proportionally much larger and partly because most of them act with greater mechanical advantage. I don't believe there's any evidence that chimp muscles are stronger per unit area, so it's nothing to do with fibre density or any other histological factor. For an earlier discussion of great ape athleticism on these forums, please see:

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/punbb/v … php?id=128

Of course, there's nothing magic about chimpanzees; I rather doubt they're any stronger than the strongest humans, although I don't know for certain. Still, their big muscles and big teeth would make them nasty opponents, so I'd advise your friend Jay to stay well clear.

Muscle physiology is generally agreed to be constant in vertebrates through a long line of studies. So basically, the more muscle you have the stronger output you get...