Hi all,

Since watching Jarrasic park, I have been thinking about what's the best way to deffend one's self against a volocoraptor attacks, esspeicaly if the security doors won't lock. I sometimes find myself thinking that I should think like a volocoraptor, so I know what actions they'll take, but I can't get my head around to that methord of thinking. Could someone point me as to what an average volocoraptor would think, should they be alive in the modern world?

Kind Regards

90Nz0

90Nz0 wrote:

Hi all,

Since watching Jarrasic park, I have been thinking about what's the best way to deffend one's self against a volocoraptor attacks, esspeicaly if the security doors won't lock.

:D
don't hire an IT support person that is clearly ng to double cross you.  Not only do they shut down the power and prevent the security doors locking, but they spend all day on internet forums asking rather odd questions.

But on a serious note (and why not eh?), think about it in the same way you would avoid a tiger or lion - don't go near them or their habitats in the first place.

Being separeted by a few tens of millions of years helps in this regard.

As for something a bit more practical in this theorectical situation, I would run up stairs! The tails of dinosaurs like Velociraptor and other dromaeosaurs are very stiff as they are bound together with rods of bone. As a result they would not be able to turn tight corners like most houses have at the top of a staircase. A narrow spiral staircase would completely stop them!

Even the stairs themselves would prove difficult as their toes are long and it would be hard for them to balance.

So run up some nice tight, narrow spiral stairs and leave them foxed.

And on a more anatomical point, I don't think Velociraptor would have been efficient at opening doors - their wrists work in a very similar fashion to birds. According to Phil Senter (2006) the wrists don't twist, as the same as in us, with the radius rotating with respect to the ulna. So the palms in dromaeosaurs would have mostly faced towards the midline of the body and not towards the ground or a door handle...

Just to add, I think a swift broom handle in the head would see off the average Velociraptor, since they were much smaller than those in Jurassic Park - only about the size of a turkey. Also, most predators expect their prey to run away - stand your ground and make yourself look big - it works for plenty of other species out there!

Yeah, I was basing my answer on the film versions. Though actually these were shown with somewhat flexible tails and not stiff as they should have been!

As long as you are very careful to avoid inventing a time machine you will be safe.